Education systems in various countries are certainly different. In addition, the education system greatly influences the progress of the country. One of them is the education system in France, which ranks as the favorite country to continue education for international students.
Many people from various parts of the world want to study in France. Even though they realize that the standard of living in Europe is very high. Thus, if you are interested in continuing your education in France, here is an explanation of the education system in France:
1. Playgroup and Kindergarten
The first level of education in France is Maternelle. Moreover, this level of education is the same as playgroup and kindergarten. So, thildren who are students here must be at least 2 years old. The first level of education in France will be taken for 4 years.
Here are the first levels of education in France:
- Toute Petite Section (starting at 2 years old)
- Petit Section (3 years old)
- Moyen Section (4 years old, same as Kindergarten)
- Grand Section (5 years old)
2. Primary School
Children who are already 6 years old are required to register at school at 1 ere degree. In addition, 1 ere degree is a second-level school or the same as elementary school. Then, it takes 5 years to graduate to 5th-grade elementary school.
The following are levels of education at 1ere degree:
- CP/Cours Preparatoire – starting at 6 years old, same as primary school grade 1
- CE1/Cours Elementaire – starting at 7 years old, same as primary school grade 1
- DE2/Cours Elementaire – starting at 8 years old, same as primary school grade 1
- CM1/Cours Moyen 1 – starting at 9 years old, same as primary school grade 1
- CM2/Cours Moyen 2 – starting at 10 years old, same as primary school grade 1
3. Middle School
In College or middle school, scores become a very important aspect. In addition, every week the child will have an exam and at the end of the year, children must pass with an average value of 12 to 20. So, if the score below 10, then the child must repeat the following year.
After 4 years of college, all students must attend Diplôme National du Brevet. Then, After Brevet, students can continue their education at Lycee. Here are the levels of College:
- 6eme – starting at 11 years old
- 5eme – starting at 12 years old
- 4eme – starting at 13 years old
- 3eme – starting at 14 years old
4. High School
Children from 15 to 18 years old will attend high school or Lycee. Students who have good academics will usually continue the school to Lycee General. Whereas, students who prefer vocational schools, will continue to the Lycee Professionnel.
There are levels of high school or Lycee:
- Seconde – starting at 15 years old
- Premiere – starting at 16 years old
- Terminate – starting at 17 years old
5. Universities and Higher Education
Different from the education system in other countries, the education system in France has two categories of higher education. The two categories of higher education are universities and colleges (Grandes Ecole). Education at the university is theoretical and general, and Grandes Ecole is technical.
So, those are the explanation of the education system in France. The education system is quite complex but has a good system. This is because from the beginning it can detect the talents and abilities of children. Therefore, children can determine majors according to their interests early on.